Sunday, June 1, 2008

What day is it????

Mulie shawnie (How are you)? Ok, it is so hard to even keep up with what day it is. It's all a blur! Deven, Nathan and Ayden: I know you are having soooo much fun at grandma's. Make sure to eat some ice cream for me and Bryan! Tomorrow we will be having a traditional African meal. I will take pictures! We might have fried termites :'(. Ken, I love you so much and I wish you were here with me. The women here are so tough, thank you for treating me like a princess! Pray for us tomorrow. We will be teaching for the first time. There is a dispute in the village we are going to, a couple went to the witch Dr. because they couldn't have a baby. The witch dr. gave her a potion and she got pregnant. Now the husband is taking him to court accusing the witch dr. of having sex with his wife. We saw a "famous" witch dr. today, he is from the congo. This is soooo funny. He lives in a hut and he has a blackberry!!!! Anyway, I am going to let Bryan tell you about the day...

Well.... today was incredible! We went to the village church today and got to see what some of the people do for their church service. The choir would stand in circles and sang without instruments. Mrs. Mary( the missionary) said in one of the songs they sang about giving money. The preacher their was speaking Bemba so I have no idea what he was talking about. After that we went to the local "chief's" hut. Every where we go children follow us and stare. Some of them yell Mzungu (outsider or white person) and run away. Then we went to a nearby village and invited people to a bible study Mr. James( missionary) was going to be teaching. Every one said they would come. But one adult me and my mom invited actually came out of the thirty. Apparently saying they won't come is impolite. But about thirty kids that followed us came. The people here are very nice. Yesterday we were at the market and we were shaking people's hands. You are supposed to only shake someones right hand b/c they wipe with their left. Well.... one guy came up to me and shook my hand with his right hand then went off then came back to me and grabbed my hand with his left hand. Thank God for germ X. Melissa has to carry around an umbrella b/c she got dehydrated. She started to use it as a hiking stick and five of the kids got a stick and copied exactly what she was doing. When you talk in english the kids will copy the words you use and go around saying it for about five min. Its so funny! Me and my mom have been trying to learn some of the bemba language. But my mom always has to ask me how to say certain things. She said "luckily i have Bryan". Here are a few of the words I've learned so far mulli shauni- how are you, buena- im fine(kinda like spanish) Twalisamanana- im going and i will meet you there, miqoui- sir or ma'am( you have different words for how are you walking, how are you running, how are you sitting, how are you worshipping) Kopakana- give me(Thats what the kids would say then we would say ahwea), Shalinipo- im going, ahwea- no, eh- yes. I miss you guys back in the U.S. I love you Nathan, Deven, Ayden, and Dad. I have to go now. There's a seven hour time difference here and its night time here.

SHALINIPO! Love ya
-Bryan and Dana

8 comments:

Brittany Freeman said...

Hey Dana and Bryan!!
I have been super encouraged by reading and seeing y'alls enthusiasm for the people and the purpose! Thank you for being so eager and willing to serve the Lord. Keep fighting the good fight! Those people may have never experienced love in their life and you get to share the greatest love, God! We miss ya! Matthew 5:14
Brittany Freeman

Brandy Elizabeth said...

HEYYY!
I'm so happy that everything is going well so far! I wonder if Jambo still means hello where you are. I know that God will do amazing things through you and Brian, and the others on the trip. I have no doubt that your teachings will lead many people to Christ. Good luck!
:D

Miss you.
I'll be praying.

Jim Chinners said...

Hey Dana and Bryan,

I am so excited about what God is doing through you both! It is amazing to read the blogs and hear what God is doing - teaching Bryan which hand to shake with - hehe.
But seriously, I am praying God speaks through you on Monday and the rest of the week. I am so proud of Bryan stepping up to the plate to share the gospel - how awsome!!

Praying for your safety and boldness! SHALINIPO!

Garrett said...

wow...I'm impressed, B. way to go man! I know your dad sure does miss you and your mom. we're praying for you guys...Garner and I said a prayer for you this afternoon. we miss you guys.
Garrett

Robbie&Jamie said...

Hey Guys!
We were outside today and it was so hot ,and then I thought about you guys in AFRICA. I have to say at that moment I couldn't bring myself to complain! I know it has to be so hot there! We loved hearing about your day.It is so neat to hear the words that you have picked up. We are so proud of you , You have always been an inspiration to us. I have to say it is so weird to know that normally you are 30 minutes or a phone call away / It blows my mind when I think about how far away you guys really are. I am so used to seeing you.I am still praying for the teaching that you will have to do - Tell Brian that if he teaches anything like his mom or dad he will be fine.Robbie said he talked to Ken earlier / just thought you would want to know that he seemed okay!! Jamie

mrsfadeji said...

Your stories and words have my heart racing....the whole church prayed for you guys today and Tayo and I have been praying daily for you as well. May God continue to keep you healthy and safe!
With love, Amy and Tayo

Susan said...

Keep posting when you can -- love reading all that is going on. I'm sharing your adventures with my co-workers. btw- Way to go with the language! That's incredible all that you are picking up. I know that the Lord is using you guys. Will continue to pray for you.
Love,
Susan Theobald
8-)

Mike & Gay said...

Dana & Bryan,
We miss you guys sooooo much. Love being able to hear from you and hearing what is going on in Africa.
Know we are praying for you and can't wait to hear the amazing things God did on this trip.
Love you both, Mike and Gay