Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Ok... I am a little unnerved at the moment. They just killed a tarantula that was going into my bedroom! That just about sucked the last bit of energy out of me! It was the size of a fist!!!!

We started out the day by going to the chief's palace for an official visit for a photo. Yes, we bobbed and bowed while clapping and saying, "ba canabasa" (Mr. greater than I). It was great! The other officials were there, his assistant was dressed in a uniform, his wife was there, and the great one was in his robe (like a choir robe) and "crown"! Can't wait for you to see the pics! It was a pretty big deal. Justin had to promise to get him copies. I learned that he is the chief of all of Lusaka, kind of like a governor of a state. Then in each village there is a head man in charge of that village. The chief owns the land and settles disputes, mostly accusations of someone being a wizzard. ( Hold on, they are trying to kill another spider and they missed it) Then we went to another village. Today was the total opposite of yesterday! Thank God! He knew we needed it. When we went hut to hut several people accepted Jesus! The people were very welcoming too. We got a lot of benches brought out to us. They asked one lady how she believes someone gets to heaven and she replied, "by baptism." Then they were telling the story of Jesus on the cross and she said, "what's the cross?" So even if they know some things of the bible, they probably don't know much. Lunch time is always my favorite time because we play with the children after we eat. The kids, i don't know how to describe them in words. They just wanted to touch us and play with the frisby (thanks again Robert Brown!). I played catch with their trash condom "ball". Yes, i know. I am laughing even now. They blow them up like balloons. There was one boy, probably a teen. He was so smart. He could speak a good bit of english. He said it was because he graduated the 5th grade. I wanted to bring him back. I couldn't help but think of what he might be if he only had the opportunities people have in the states. The girls were amazed at Melissa. They noticed that me and Melissa had different Muzungoo skin. She is very pale, and I am looking more and more Mexican every day. My arms are going to be leather when I get back! They were asking for our empty water bottles, but we can't give anything away. If we do it will cause jealousy and they will always expect something from the missionaries. Even an empty chip bag is a prized toy! It is so hard. Even the translators want the bottles (they can sell them for a few pennies) but we refill them every day. Missionaries get a large water filter from the wmu (like a giant Brita filter). We just fill our bottles with it every day. Our bottles are so nasty now! The lids are cracked and the labels are red from dirt, and we don't care! They are precious! We were all under the mango trees telling the bible stories today ( the whole OT). They brought us chairs to sit in and they sit on the ground. Someone stole Bryan's bottle from under his chair. A few minutes later some kids brought the bottle back, right as they were teaching from the 10 commandments, "thou shalt not steal". I don't know if that was a coincidence but it was cool. Justin has taught there 3 times before to a small group, but today there were around 70. They were so interested. Justin told them he would be back to teach the NT, but it would be in 2 weeks because he was taking us to Lusaka to the airport. They were very sad. They were hanging on us as we were leaving. One man yelled, "i love you" to us. Bryan has so much fun playing with the kids. They are amazed by him. He is a "boy", but that means "friend". Melissa got pee'd on today. It was great, she just smiled. We had shema for the 2nd time last night so i was starving this morning. Tonight we feasted! Chili!!! But be in prayer...Friday we eat at Ba Chamba's hut! His wife is preparing dinner for us. Yes we signed a contract that we would eat what they offer and not make a face! But it gets harder, they don't drink while they eat. So we can't even wash it down. I'll be sure to let you know all about it.
Oh, I showed them a picture of the fam before we left. They are amazed! The pic is of the boys at Animal Kingdom. It's the picture of all of them at the bottom at this blogspot. They think that asian hut is our home and we wear those hats. They love Nathan's funny face. A woman asked if she could keep the picture and I said no and hugged and kissed it. They laughed and laughed. This was the best day yet!
Ken, Deven, Nathan, Ayden: we love and miss you very much.
Sunday School class: I miss you. Get the lessons from Jules and be prepared to teach at camp!!!
Mom: how are you doing with the boys?

Again: Thank you all for the comments! I love to hear from you.

14 comments:

Ken Whitton said...

Dana, you are a true warrior. You know me with spiders. I would have stripped doen naked, ran around the house and wet myself. I really hope Friday's feast is a true "native delicacy", in true fear factor flavor. I pray you all continue to have favor with the locals and that the Jesus in you will be the lasting impression for many generations. I can't wait to play condom ball with the boys.

Jules said...

Hey Dana and Bryan sounds like the Lord encouraged you today with people that were not frightened by you. I cant't wait to see your pictures! Praying for you both! I wonder if at our next event we could play condom ball? I bet we would get a big crowd!

Vallie said...

Dana,I am thoroughly enjoying your blog of this fantastic mission adventure! I have been leaving Ken's office, bowing and clapping and saying "Mr. greater than I," as I leave. I'm afraid Ken might make you do that from now on when you leave the room he is in!!!! I think Julie is right about trying out the new condom ball game at the next student event. Maybe it could be introduced at Student Camp! I am praying for you and Bryan daily and I know that God is going to continue to use ya'll greatly! Stay away from the spiders.

Richard and Kaye said...

Hey, trying to figure this out to reply. Richard

Brandy Elizabeth said...

Spiders make me shudder. I can't wait to see these pictures. 70 people? That is incredible. You and Bryan must be having an amazing time, God is really working hard through you. I can tell. I can also see... You gotta love the kids. I almost want you to bring me one back, too! And even if the food is horrible, picture it looking like your favorite meal, and pretend it tastes like it. Haha. I dunno if that works, but it's worth a try. Its good that you got Chili, though.
Take pictures of the condom balls. It is going to look really funny, walking up to the store clerk with tons of boxes, and he would look at you, and you would say, I'm gonna play condom ball! Think of the look on his face. Priceless. We'll need a picture of that too. And then the entire youth group. :) I'll be praying!

Richard and Kaye said...

Hey Mom this is Deven I just wanted to tell you, and Bryan that we have hade a great time at g-mas, also that we have ya'll in our prayers and can not wait to hear back from you![We just ate a ton of fish we caught.

Dana Armstrong said...

What a way to go on a diet....just go to Zimbabwe!!! Isn't it funny how their native delicacy is our idea of unwanted pests! Hopefully you won't be slurping down any termites, spiders or any other creepy crawly thing! Condom ball...now there's a springboard for some interesting conversations! Can't wait to see your pictures posted!

Robbie&Jamie said...

hey Dana,
I just don't know about those spiders. I probably would have been fine until then! Remember when we were at Moe's,right before you guys left and Jaret wanted to stow away with you to AFRICA, after the bathroom story I think he is kind of relieved that he didn't do so ! We are praying and thinking of you guys constantly throughout the day ! Love the stories - the kids are so amazed by everything you are experiencing! Love ya ! Jamie

Jim Chinners said...

The spider story is funny. I am sure that it was not as funny for you.

Tell Bryan I have not heard anything from him in a day or so. He needs to share some stories too. I am praying for you both as you share. I am really praying for you as you eat witht he "great one".

Richard and Kaye said...

This is Mom. It's good to hear everything is going good. Be careful. Be very careful. I love you both and miss you. You and Bryan try not to bring any 8 legged transiets home in your luggage.

We're all doing fine. The kids have been very good. Nathan and Deven help with Ayden so much. But it will be good to know the kids are with you and Kenny again. You two are so good with the kids. I am so glad my grandkids are blessed with such wonderful parents.

The kids are well and happy and looking forward to seeing their Dad tomorrow.

Love, Mom

Garrett said...

Hey guys,
you make me laugh and cry all in the same blog. I just wanted to let you know the Hughes' love you and are praying for you. We're a little jealous of the way you're getting to experience the Lord working. You ever wonder...why he even created spiders...especialy the big ones...

Robert Hartmann said...

I have just finished reading all of your blogs today. Zambia reminds me so much of Nicaragua I was 15 when I got to have all of the experiences. So I love hearing Bryan talking and playing with the kids. These days and memories will be with you forever. They will change your life and God will bless you everyday from now on with these people in you mind.
Remember do not be afraid to tell your story to anybody ever. Thank you for letting me be apart of you mission experience.

mrsfadeji said...

Hey guys! I'm so glad you guys had a great day! YAY! I'm jealous of the tan you're working on but not the bathroom! The first time Tayo took me to Nigeria, I held it for a 4 hour car ride until we got to this pastor's house. I pretty much ran to the house, bowed as I should and asked to use the restroom. I was SOOO excited for a toilet. So the pastor took me in the house, through the living room, and through a door that landed me in the backyard. He pointed to this slab of concrete with a PVC pipe on it. I was like, "Ummmm......" So there I was, squatting on the pastor's concrete slab aiming for the PVC pipe which was interesting since the slab was on an incline....I was also dressed for a wedding which added to the enjoyment. :) So....girl I feel ya but at least I had light! :) I wondered what Vallie and Julie were tossing around at the church office today but now I get it! :) Keep up the great work and I'm so thankful we can share your trip with you! You're an inspiration and we will continue to pray for everything!

Brittany Freeman said...

and...HAHAHA! I loved LOVED the "hold on they are trying to kill a spider" i laughed real hard!The random comments are so funny !"Melissa got pee'd on" Im a few days late on reading about your trip. It is such a treat to be able to hear and "walk" with you there. Thank you so much for taking the time to daily tell us how things are going!
We miss you!
Brittany Freeman