Friday, June 6, 2008

I Love Electricty!!

The people who have houses and power (which are very few) and the mill are all powered by the town generator. We usually have power on 3 and off 3. Yesterday the town generator died, they don't know when it will be fixed. The Adairs have a generator but it doesn't always work. So don't get worried if I don't write, We haven't been eaten!

Yesterday was amazing! I was so sad i couldn't blog. We went to a village pretty far out. They weren't afraid. Bryan and I got to go out with a translator by ourselves for the first time. We invited them to the bible study and asked if they knew about the cross. No one knew! We talked to a very old man (which is odd to see). He really wanted to come and learn but he was very ill and bleeding. Bryan and I asked if he wanted us to teach him about the cross and he said, "very much." So we explained the gospel to him. He was grateful and believed! I told him we would meet again one day in heaven. Many of the people that we talked to had heard of Jesus but really had no idea how he saves us. They were so grateful to have it explained to them. Then the bible study....wow! There were over 100 people when there are usually only a few. One man stood up and said he had faith in Jesus Christ. They wanted to know what to do now, how to get a bible, and how to pray. They didn't want it to end. They had a thirst that was being filled for the first time. I will never forget what I have seen. Romans asks, "How will they hear unless someone preaches?"
2 things i've learned from the bible stories:
1. God provides
2. God keeps His promises

Don't take for granted anything! Do you have clothes that aren't hanging on by strings? Do you own underwear? Do you have food in you pantry? Do you own a Bible? You are blessed! Most of the world is not like us in America.

We also need to understand we are accountable for what we have and what we know! We own many bibles, but rarely read them. We know the gospel but rarely share it. Something is very wrong! Do you treasure the word? Do you care that there are others who have never heard the gospel? We do exist to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples!

On the lighter side:
We ate lunch at Bupe Chomba's house for lunch. I hate to disappoint you but i loved it! Melissa and Bryan would disagree with me. It was so much fun. We had shema, cabbage, and chicken. Ken, you would have loved it! I was thinking about you when i was eating the cabbage! After Bryan ate the shema he had it all over his hands. Someone holds a bowl while you soap up and then someone poors the water on your hands. Bryan couldn't get the shema off so he had 2 african men teaching him how to scrub his hands. It was funny! I took plenty of pics. The kids at the village today were so mean to each other. They would throw hard rocks at each other's heads. During the Bible study one boy was dragged off by his foot!

Tomorrow night is the Jesus Film! I am so excited! Please pray that many people become believers.

Deven Scott Whitton: Happy Birthday (tomorrow)! I love you so much! I've talked about you and your brothers a lot! I was telling someone today how you know John Piper's mission statement by heart. You are an amazing boy. Make dad take you to chick fil a and drink a milkshake for me!!!!

Hopefully I can write tomorrow! I love you all.

3 comments:

Ken Whitton said...

It is so good to hear from you! I was afraid I was going to have to pull a Rambo, get a babysitter and me and Sonny come and get you! My Dad is on the way to take us out to lunch for D's birthday. ONE MORE WEEK! Soak it in. I am praying that the Jesus Film penetrates the heart and many come to faith in Jesus. Bryan, I love you so much and am so excited to hear you teach us all you have learned. I am planning a Wednesday night service, June the 18th, for you guys to share. The whole church will be invited. Dustin brought over our gifts. You are so thoughtful and amazing. The poppies in the front, the big ones you have been waiting for, one has 6 flowers on it. The Texas Star has 12 buds! I hope you get to see them! You Mom and Richard were such a blessing watching the kids. I couldn't have done it without them. Ayden can almost say AFRICA! I love you, I love you, I love you!

Robbie&Jamie said...

Hey Dana and Bryan ,
I was so worried by this morning @ 6 am when you hadn't written , Praying and worrying,and praying some more !We checked several times yesterday and I even woke up in the middle of the night and had to log on the internet ,just to see if you had blogged again!!! I was SOOO glad to hear from you guys and know that you are ok . So amazed by what God is doing. So happy to know that their hearts are being changed by the cross. More than ever I thank God for every single thing I have. We are Truly Blessed beyond measure ! Hopefully they will get the generators all fixed. You know I tend to be a little paranoid about things- I have to say that if you had not blogged today , I would have given myself an ulcer or something!!We are Praying that they will be drawn to you guys and drawn to the Gospel - Forever changed by the love of Christ !
I have to say I am a little envious about all that you are experiencing . Hold on to a little one really tight for me too , if you get a chance !! Love ya !! Jamie

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping up with the blog. It is so incredibly cool and awesome to read about everything going on over there. I want to go to Africa so bad! Now, I just have a greater reason to go. I can't wait to hear from you and Bryan when ya'll get back.

In Christ,
Andrew