Tuesday, June 3, 2008

We drove to a village today (that means it was too far to walk and is pretty far from the town). James (the missionary) has only been to the village to teach once before and only one man came. This village was soooo scared of us. They would run in their huts and shut the door. Bryan and I only had two huts welcome us. They welcome you when they get the children to bring you something to sit on. The children still followed us, but they were very timid. We brought the frisby today that Robert Brown gave us. Thank goodness we had it because they didn't want to come close to us. We tried to play duck duck goose with them. They told the translator they wanted to play but they were afraid of muzungo (white people). There is a legend they tell children in some villages in zambia to make their children behave. They tell them if they aren't good the muzungo will come and eat you. We are pretty sure they tell that story in the village we were at. We go to the villages at 10am and go hut to hut talking with them and inviting them to the bible study @15 (3pm). We eat a sack lunch @ 13 (1pm) and have a break until time to tell the bible stories. We use that break to play with the children. I keep telling the missionaries i want to hold one of their babies soooo bad. James said just pick one up, they won't mind. So today of all days (when we just arrived) we were under a tree talking to a man and the baby came right to me and crawled on my lap! I almost cried i was so happy. Then the mother came running across the dirt road and grabbed the baby from me. We weren't aware this village had not encountered many white people at the time. I hope i get my courage back. Next time i will wait to see how fearful the people are. Yesterday wasn't like that at all! The children were hanging on the back of the truck as we were leaving. They had to tell them to go home. Justin joked and said, " how do you say "I will eat you" in Bemba?" I don't think they had seen cars before! At least not many. I saw 2 boys go up to the truck and slowly touch it with their finger. There were 70 people off and on during the bible study today!!! They wouldn't sit close to us but they were very interested. James started off my telling them not to be afraid of us just because of our skin. We were there to tell them about Lasa (God) and we hated evil spirits. We didn't want to take any stones from them or anything else. We were just there to give them good news. It was amazing. This was the most unreached village to date, and yet there was a Jehovah's Witness church. They are everywhere!!! Anyway, we taught from creation to Jacob. They said they wanted to continue to come to the Bible study. OH... Bryan got dehydrated today between lunch and Bible time! We take our malaria on Tuesdays, that may have made him feel bad also. He wasn't able to teach today. He went and sat against the side of a hut in the shade. He's doing much better now. He seems fine... he's playing battleship with Matthew.

Tomorrow we are going back to see the chief because we have permission to take a picture with him!!!! I can't wait for you to see the palace! So we will be bowing and bobbing while clapping again tomorrow. It is so funny, I hope i don't laugh!

Oh, i went to use the lue (bathroom) today and couldn't do it!! It's a small brick and grass roof hut with a hole. This one smelled soooo bad from outside and inside was pitch black. I could only hear bugs buzzing. I flashed my camera to see where the hole was but after the flash it was black again. When i came out they asked if i was scared and i of course said, "no! awey!". I found another one to use that had light!

Bryan and Matthew have seen more nudity in the past few days than any other American boys will see in a life time!!! All American boy should visit here, it would fix some of their problems!

I will write again tomorrow. We love you all. Keep posting comments, we love to read them!

11 comments:

Sharon said...

I was wondering when the bathroom talk would come up! I really wanted to ask but didn't want to be rude. I'm still glued to the computer waiting for more. I never knew I would be this interested! I wish I were there with you, no matter where you use the bathroom. I'm praying for you guys everyday. Bryan, drink more water! Take care of yourselves.

Dana Armstrong said...

This blogspot has become our families most viewed! We laughed till our sides ached at the bathroom issue! I'm afraid the bathroom facilities would be my greatest obstacle to overcome! :) We are praying like crazy for you both. Emilie got Bryan's myspace message and will respond. She was thrilled that he took the time to let her know how things were going. I won't be surprised if you come home with a baby on your hips! What an experience God has taken you on! Keeping bobbing and clapping!! I am sure the chief will be impressed!
Love you guys - Dana

Jules said...

Well it sounds like another great experience. Bryan you need to drink, drink, drink! Dana I think I would go crazy not being able to hug on those little children. I know it will be very hard to leave and not bring one back! If you have your cell phone and still have some battery mayabe you can use it to help light the "Luse" hut? Praying for you "bobble head" nuts! Love you guys!

Susan said...

Have you had any encounters with wild animals, bugs, etc.??? 8-)
Praying for your safety! p.s. loved your story of the lue!
Love you,
Susan

Jim Chinners said...

stin1
Today sounds like a real God day...He was working through you today! Each day I can hardly wait to see what God is doing in your lives. I am so happy Byran is better and that he will be back in the business of sharing God's word.

Keep the stories coming it is so exciting to hear the next days episode.

Serving Him

Brandy Elizabeth said...

I wish I could be there with you guys! You seem to be having such a great time! ;) Can't wait to hear the rest of the stories when you get back and we go to camp. This year will be even more amazing than last year's--I can feel it! I'm praying that you will stay safe and that God's will be done. You guys are an amazing inspiration to anyone you come across. You have no idea how much you and your family have helped me grow with God.
YOu make me laugh and laugh with all the clapping and bowing! (and the bathroom story. LOL) I can just imagine you two, clap clap, BOW. Clap, clap; BOW. Haha, almost like a dance! I hope you get good pictures!!
Bryan- Keep cool. Drink some water. It can't be that bad, can it? Maybe, so. I wonder, you probably have bottled water, right? I can't remember if you guys said anything about that.
Love you guys! Keep on keepin' on!
--bRANDY

Ken Whitton said...

B- you need to eat something salty! Drink water, remember you are in AFRICA! You have no idea how many studnets have called me saying they are praying for you and want an update! You are impacting a lot of people here by your obedience! Dana, I am so excited! I don't have to worry about lowering the lid..ever again. SLowly, I am conversing with those that monitor the site and we guys are starting a clapping bobbing festival right here in Mobile. I can't wait for you to demonstate it. Amy, Tayo's wife tried to demonstrate it at a meeting we had tonight. SO funny! I love you guys so much! I hate not having a full house with all the chaos. Bring back a couple of those babies.

ainsley said...

Hey Mrs.Dana! I just wanted to let yall know that we are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Reading your blogs brings laughter and tears at the same time. We are praying for you guys and are glad to hear God is opening up doors for you to share the Gospel. He is good! Thanks for being so diligent in updating us with your daily adventures. They are encouraging! We love you guys!

Garrett said...

thanks for the inspiration and laughter. To know that God is working in and through you guys is incredible. I had a similar bathroom experience, but it was at the outlet malls in Foley. Continue to challenge us...I know that you guys are now forever changed...but you're changing us here as well.

Susan said...

Hey Dana and Bryan & friends:

I was listening to my itunes at work and the song “Days of Elijah” began playing. Some of the lyrics that made me think of you guys: These are the days of Elijah -- Declaring the Word of the Lord …; And though these are days of great trials -- Of famine and darkness and sword -- Still we are the voice in the desert crying -- Prepare ye the way of the Lord!

I know you guys are declaring His word and that God will bless your witness.
Love & Prayers,
Susan